welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Monday, November 21, 2011

Prophecy


Wow – Neil didn’t pull any punches today.  He comes across as harsh, but I see that there’s real potential for harm, even from someone who means well and wants to speak an encouraging word from the Lord to someone. 

Does God speak through prophecy today?  If He didn’t, I suppose He wouldn’t have listed it among the spiritual gifts He distributes to the church (Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12).  Neil knows his scripture pretty well, so I’m going to figure that he writes as a reaction to misuse of prophecy that he’s seen over the years in churches.

In reading and thinking about this topic, the idea that kept coming to the surface in me was that of humility.  If I’m hearing something I believe is from God, it’s with great humility that I offer it to the appropriate person, in the appropriate time.  Not everything is to share; some things God tells me are just for me.  I’m supposed to be praying about the situation and supporting those involved. 

And when a word is offered by someone, it’s with humility that I need to take that before God in prayer, and to His word, to look for confirmation.  I won’t know what’s in God’s mind and heart unless I ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.