welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Friday, March 25, 2011

March 25, 2011


Transformation

Maybe it’s because my kids are at the ages where they are reading lots of fairy tales, but for some reason today’s entry had me thinking about the story of the Ugly Duckling. 

Remember that one?  I didn’t remember all of it, so I looked it up (what did we ever do before wikipedia?).  The mamma duck’s eggs are hatching, but one little duckling is very different, and, well, ugly.  He is raised as a duck, albeit an outcast, but one day looks at the sky and admires the beautiful swans flying by.  Eventually, he matures into a swan and is accepted into their flock.  Awwww!

It’s better than my other metaphor for today:  being abducted and stuck on an alien planet…  Let’s stick with the swan.

If you’re a duck/swan, you’re going to be at odds with your environment – the farm - until you get clear of it, and until you mature.  Things like self-concept and survival skills are all out of whack.  Getting it all right is a painful process, but a worthwhile one.

Now, see?  Neil, the engineer, thinks in programming terms.  I relate to fuzzy animals much better.  Either way, I am in need of continuing transformation.

1 comment:

  1. As we unpack the suitcase Neil has packed up for our next adventure I can see the first item out of the suitcase is … to be un-programmed from our life before we were saved by Christ. It came today (thank you Michele) in the form of a duck that turned into a swan. I hope after all my transforming is complete I am a beautiful swan, some days though I feel like I am that poor swan among ducks. And sometimes I feel like I am the swan’s sibling and my brother or sister is the beautiful swan and I will forever remain a duck.

    I am thankful for daily transformations, it is slow and sometimes painful but I know God is transforming me and maturing me to one day be a beautiful swan and that to Him I already am that beautiful and graceful swan.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.