welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

March 20, 2011


The best lies…

Remember talking about worry - how we somehow feel virtuous when we worry, even though it’s a pretty unhealthy thing to do?  I was pondering why it’s so easy for us to fall for the condemnation of the enemy.  God’s grace is right there – why don’t we just reach out and take it?

I’m wondering if it’s a little like the worry – we feel unworthy, so we beat ourselves up, buying into the lies of the enemy.  Yesterday, I mentioned that we really do deserve condemnation, but that’s only part of the truth.  The rest of it is that Jesus took that condemnation in our place.  It’s been said that the best lies have a bit of truth in them – that’s what hooks us. 

So the process is this – we sin, we have that oh-my-gosh moment, and then the feelings start pouring in…  We’re embarrassed, we’re sorry, and even though Jesus has taken every punishment for us, we decide to take a little more.  It seems just a little right, but it’s oh, so wrong.

Buying into the condemnation isn’t just a waste of time; it’s a hook that the enemy has us on because we’ve believed his lies, if only just a little.  Not constructive, not healthy.  We need to make a change.

I make the choice which thoughts I’ll entertain, and in moments when I’m weak, I can ask God for help.  He always shows up.

I love the verse Neil ends on:

1 John 2:1 - My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin.  But if you do sin, there is someone to plead for you before the Father.  He is Jesus Christ, the one who pleases God completely.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.