welcome to connect: project 2011

This blog is a project I'm undertaking for 2011... Why don't you join me?

The goal is to spend a little time each day reading from a devotional book, Daily in Christ by Neil T. Anderson, and connecting with people via blog post and comments.

Don't have the book yet? You can find it on Amazon, or you can read the daily post at:
www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/dailyinchrist

Why would we do this? For me, it's to reinforce a habit I need, to own my own faith, to connect with God and what He's saying to me, and to connect with people who are hungry to know God more...

Your reasons might be some of the same as mine.

The more folks read and comment, the richer the experience will be. Join the discussion!

Monday, August 22, 2011

August 22, 2011

Neil vs. rock ‘n’ roll

I grew up in the era when speakers made the rounds to youth groups and Christian schools, railing against rock music and all its evils.  They would read lyrics to us for shock value (not realizing we’d already figured them out).  Some talked about subliminal messages (play it backwards!), others about how the very drumbeat was satanic.  Interesting stuff.

I remember at the time feeling like these (well-meaning) adults didn’t give us much credit…  It was as if they believed that if we listened to enough garbage, we would become brainwashed into committing all kinds of evil.  While there is something to the frog-in-the-boiling-water analogy (frog gets in while the water’s cool, and doesn’t notice he’s eventually being boiled), these guys were telling us all rock music was bad, and we weren’t smart enough to listen to it and still serve God.

I’m coming clean, because reading Neil’s entry today touched a nerve for me.  His tone has shades of what those chapel speakers said years ago.  I believe his intent, though, is good.

What I do agree with is that we need to be aware of what music our kids listen to, be attentive to how it affects them (Depressed?  Stop listening to Depeche Mode!), and make it an open conversation.  I believe in the value of teaching kids to make their own decisions based on what they believe, and then supporting those decisions. 

All this is spoken with a huge dose of humility, because, and of course, I don’t have teenagers yet.  Feel free to weigh in with your opinions…

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a teacher, a church administrator, and currently I'm an at-home mommy, which is my most challenging assignment yet. My home church is WellSpring - it's where my heart is, where my family is. I'm so grateful to God for His work in me and the people He's allowed me to share life with.